This is our journey of the unexpected adoption of a princess with Down syndrome waiting for us in China making us a family of 7!

Saturday, March 21, 2015

World Down Syndrome Day!




Today is a day that has taken on a whole new meaning for us in the past few months. World Down Syndrome Day. A few months ago I didn't even know this day really existed. But God, God has been growing in me over the past couple years this love for those blessed with an extra chromosome.  Maybe its because way too many of those in the US who hear their child has Down syndrome feel their only answer is to abort their pregnancy (somewhere between 70 and 90%). Knowing the heartbreak an abortion can cause, my heart breaks for these parents and for the precious unborn child. My prayer is that I can somehow shine a light on the fact that children with Down syndrome are Fearfully and Wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14) and I have a big feeling Karsynn is going to help others see that.

God has not only placed adoption of a Down syndrome child in my path but He has been opening many other doors as well. I have been asked by the owner of Gigi's Playhouse in Des Moines Moines, Iowa to design and sell some of my Handmade Hope necklaces in their store! Gigi's Playhouse is a nationwide achievement center for those with DS. You can read more about them here. Praying one day we will have our very own local Gigi's Playhouse that I can be a part of! In the past week alone, God has also provided me the opportunity to be moderator of a Down Syndrome Adoption Facebbok page and our agency has also asked me to be in charge of advocating for their DS children they have waiting for families! Do you know China did not feel children with DS were adoptable and so they wouldn't bother using their time and resources preparing their files for adoption? Until recently they realized Americans, and others, will adopt and love DS kids so they began preparing files.  Today there are many adorable DS kiddos ready and waiting for their families.  I couldn't be more honored to have these new opportunities and I can't wait to see what other doors open along the way!!

So as I sit here at the beach enjoying the amazing views and weather I can't help but think of how amazing my life has unfolded to become once I allowed God to lead the way. 20 or even 10 years ago I would not have even imagined I would have 3 children from China and one of them with Down syndrome or that I would be an advocate for the orphan and those rocking an extra chromosome.  I am so humbled God chose broken me to fulfill His purposes!! What is He calling you to be used for? Will you let Him?


No comments:

Post a Comment